Friday 8 November 2013

Fabulous Fridays...The Interview ~ The Baby Bakery

It's Friday and we are pleased to bring you one more interview from our beloved crafters. Today we are featuring The Baby Bakery.


Let's meet her:

1. Tell us a bit about yourself/ introduce yourself. Besides crafting what else do you love doing?

My name is Nikki and I have been making Mummy & Baby Gifts for about a year and a half now. Besides running my business I work part-time at a local hospital, have a soon to be 3 year old Son and I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with another little boy! Besides crafting, I enjoy spending time with my little boy, which can sometimes involve crafts anyway! And when I actually get 5 minutes to myself I like to enjoy a good book on my Kindle.

2. How did you start crafting and how long have you been doing it? 

I am not really sure when I first became interested in making Nappy Cakes, I have always been interested in crafting generally and used to enjoy scrapbooking. I guess I was always fascinated by Nappy Cakes and as I didn't get one when I had my Son, after a lot of research etc, I decided to make them instead! So I took the bull by the horns, completed my training and have since branched out into other things such as Baby Bouquets and Ladies Gifts. I just love that I can be so creative with my work!

3. What are the problems you faced as a crafter until now? Do you have any advice for someone who is thinking to start or is new to the crafting business?

I suppose the biggest problem is getting yourself noticed/establishing yourself, there are so many other amazing business' out there you have to work hard to show your potential customers why they should choose you. It is not as simple as setting up a website and waiting for the orders to pour in you have to work extremely hard to promote yourself and sometimes it can get you down in the beginning.

4. What's your favourite crafting category? Do you have in mind to start crafting something else (besides your usual crafting category)?

I am not really sure what my favourite category is, it would be so easy to get carried away and do a bit of everything! I really have to rein myself in sometimes and stick to what I know/keep things consistent.

5. What is your main source of inspiration? How do you propel your creativity?

Usually I just have a vision of what I want a design to look like in my head and I can't stop until I have that vision brought to life in front of me, no matter how much tweaking it may take. The inspiration for my designs can come from anywhere and a lot of it comes from my own experiences as a Mum - 'what would I have liked when I had my Son' etc. I think if you are passionate about something then the creativity/ideas just comes naturally.

6. Tell us about your crafting space. Do you have a favourite material and tool?

I don't know about a favourite tool but I definitely have a least favourite - my glue gun! A necessary evil lol.



7. So your crafting space transmutes to an online shop. How do you promote your e-shop, which social media you use?

In terms of Social Media I tend to use Facebook mainly but I do also use Twitter & Pinterest to promote my items/store. I haven't ventured into Instagram yet as I haven't found the time!

8. How long after listing an item into your e-shop you had your first sale?

My first ever online sale was actually via Facebook about 1-2 weeks after I published my page, it took about a month before I got a sale via my website and I had my first sale on MISI after 4-5 months

9. Where do you see your business in 10 years from now?

Gosh I don't like to think that far ahead, I will have a 10 & a 13 year old! For now I plan to take each day as it comes, and for as long as I enjoy what I do I will continue to do it, I am sure I will keep 'branching out' into other things/areas though

10. How did you find MISI? What else would you like to see being added to the site?

I found out about MISI via word of mouth/recommendation. I think MISI is already improving and growing all the time and it is nice to be a part of it. - Thank you we are doing our best to offer you the best MISI experience ;)


Nikki, thank you for the time you took to answer our questions. We wish you many sales to come!








1 comment: