Friday 14 February 2014

Fabulous Fridays...The Interview ~ Elibead

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone! Have a lovely day today and eat a lot of chocolate - we are joking of course..or not?

Anyway Friday is here and we have come back with another interview: Elibead


valentines heart necklace

Let's meet her:

1) Tell us a bit about yourself/ introduce yourself. Besides crafting what else do you love doing?

My name is Heather Cowell. I am a special needs teacher. I like dancing, cycling and walking my dog. I like learning anything new and am interested in History, particularly Social History.

2) How did you start crafting and how long have you been doing it?

I started crafting after spending some time with my mother looking through her jewellery box. I was looking for anything with diamonds for a party. She found a necklace (not real diamonds!) but it was broken so I went in search of mending it myself. I worked out how to do it using magazines and wore it to the party. That got me hooked and I started making my own. The sheer joy of using my hands and producing something creative of my own was wonderful. Also the total 'in the moment time', I call it my 'being time' was relaxing. I have been doing it for a year.

3. What are the problems you faced as a crafter until now? Do you have any advice for someone who is thinking to start or is new to the crafting business?

The problems I faced were wasting a lot of materials and making mistakes! My advice would be to start with some cheap bits and pieces , but invest in good tools and practise the techniques a lot. Dont be afraid to ' have a go!

4. What's your favourite crafting category? Do you have in mind to start crafting something else (besides your usual crafting category)?

My favourite crafting activity is jewellery making. At the moment bracelets and necklaces. There are so many techniques in jewellery making to learn and try, so at the moment I am doing that. However I do like the idea of card making too so maybe I will try that sometime.

5. What is your main source of inspiration? How do you propel your creativity?

My main source of inspiration is coming from what I see works and what people are wearing. When I go in search for my beads, chains etc I just see what I feel like making. I am just about to make another Shamballa bracelet this week. The technique is enjoyable to do and they are very popular. I am planning to get more creative now that I am improving! I get a lot of my beads and findings from Thebeadboutique in Long Melford, Suffolk.

6. Tell us about your crafting space. Do you have a favourite material and tool?

I use the dining room table and my favourite tool are my crimping pliers because they are essential to the tying and I wouldn't be without them.

7. So your crafting space transmutes to an online shop. How do you promote your e-shop, which social media you use? 

Well the on line shop I am using is just Misi. I am Elibead at misi.co.uk and from that I use twitter Elisaheath and pinterest.

8. Where do you see your business in 10 years from now?

I have no idea. I am just doing it because I just love it now!

9. How did you find MISI? What else would you like to see being added to the site?

I found Misi on a page in a beading magazine. The misi site is excellent and a great way to get started without having your own website.

We would like to thank Heather for the time she took to answer our questions and giving us this exciting interview.








2 comments:

  1. Nice interview with Heather. Lovely to hear the passion coming through.

    ReplyDelete